You may also like:
Our lives are busy, and the convenience of vending machines and fast food restaurants is tempting. Making good food choices when we’re away from home is hard. If you need food that’s quick, here are some tips to help you make healthier choices:
- Plan ahead by cutting up fruits and vegetables on Sunday. You can use snack-sized, zip-top bags or easy-to-use plastic containers to keep food fresh and easy to grab during the week.
- Keep healthy snacks with you. Avoid a mad dash to the vending machine by making your own snacks using fresh, healthy ingredients, like lean protein, vegetables, fruits, and grains. You’ll stay full longer and save money.
- When making your own snacks, pair a protein with a fiber. Fiber, found in foods like vegetables and fruits, fills you up; while protein, found in foods like meat and cheese, makes it last.
Try these snacks:
- Apple slices (fiber) with peanut butter (protein)
- Grapes (fiber) with cubes of sharp cheddar or mozzarella cheese (protein)
- Sliced deli meat (protein) rolled with sliced bell peppers in the middle (fiber)
Read more about how you can make healthier choices in Making Healthy Food Choices.
Winter days are shorter, and the weather can often be gray and cloudy. But even just 10 minutes outside can be enough to get your body to produce more vitamin D—which is good for bone health and may also boost your mood …
Spring has sprung, and summer is just around the corner. What better way to enjoy the nicer (and longer) days than by getting up… and out? On pleasant days, try moving your fitness routine outdoors for a change of scenery and fresh air …
The great outdoors beckons with warm weather and longer days. Make the most of the season and find ways to enjoy each moment. Take a walk through your neighborhood and make it a point to soak in your surroundings …