You may also like:
Our lives are busy, and the convenience of vending machines and fast food restaurants is tempting. Making good food choices when we’re away from home is hard. If you need food that’s quick, here are some tips to help you make healthier choices:
- Plan ahead by cutting up fruits and vegetables on Sunday. You can use snack-sized, zip-top bags or easy-to-use plastic containers to keep food fresh and easy to grab during the week.
- Keep healthy snacks with you. Avoid a mad dash to the vending machine by making your own snacks using fresh, healthy ingredients, like lean protein, vegetables, fruits, and grains. You’ll stay full longer and save money.
- When making your own snacks, pair a protein with a fiber. Fiber, found in foods like vegetables and fruits, fills you up; while protein, found in foods like meat and cheese, makes it last.
Try these snacks:
- Apple slices (fiber) with peanut butter (protein)
- Grapes (fiber) with cubes of sharp cheddar or mozzarella cheese (protein)
- Sliced deli meat (protein) rolled with sliced bell peppers in the middle (fiber)
Read more about how you can make healthier choices in Making Healthy Food Choices.
Traveling is a big part of the holiday season for many people. When travel is loaded with gifts and baggage, through possible wintry weather, and on busy travel dates, it can be especially stressful …
There's nothing quite like the taste of homegrown vegetables from your own garden. Use this guide to help you plan, plant, and keep up your year round vegetable garden.
Fall holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving are fun times for kids and families to enjoy parties and eat yummy treats. These celebrations also provide a chance to give out healthy snacks, munch on fall fruits and vegetables, get physical activity and focus on safety …